Tax News

What to do if the Canada Revenue Agency reviews your tax return

If the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) tells you it’s reviewing one or more of your tax returns, don’t panic! In most cases, it’s simply a routine check. What is a review of your tax return? The first thing you should … Read more

The most common income tax errors business make

Most common errors • Unreported or underreported income • Over claimed motor vehicle expenses • Over claimed business-use-of-home expenses • Over claimed utilities expenses • Over claimed meals and entertainment expenses • Capital Cost Allowance (CCA) • GST/HST included in … Read more

Change of Address

CHANGE OF ADDRESS If you want to change the physical or mailing address of your business (sole proprietorship, partnership, or corporation), you or your representative have to notify the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) as soon as possible.   Why is … Read more

Objection and Appeal to Canada Revenue Agency
How to register a formal dispute

 If you disagree with an assessment, determination, or decision, you have the right to register a formal dispute.The following topics will help you get started with your dispute, including time limits for filing an objection or appeal. If you think … Read more

Change of operating name

Your operating name is the name you use in your day-to-day activities and to advertise your business. You only need to provide your operating name if it is different from your legal name Example 1 You are a sole proprietor … Read more

New Canada Child benefit replace Canada child tax benefit

The budget 2016 gives Canadian family more money to help with the high cost of raising their children, by replacing the current child benefit system with the new Canada Child Benefit. You will see changes to your child benefits starting … Read more

Top things families should know about taxes

There are many benefits, credits, and deductions to help your family with expenses throughout the year and reduce the amount you owe or increase your refund at tax time. The following tips may help you or your family: Canada child … Read more

Pay online to Canada Revenue Agency

My Payment is an electronic payment service offered by the CRA that uses interac to allow individuals and businesses to make payments directly to the CRA from their online banking account. Use this service to make payments to one or … Read more

Employment expenses: Work space used in your home

You can deduct expenses you paid in 2014 for the employment use of a work space in Your home, as long as you had to pay for them under your contract of employment. These expenses must be used directly in … Read more

Common Tax Mistakes

Where Canada Revenue Agency auditors find the most common tax problems or mistakes that people make, and for which tax assessments or reassessments may be issued. Meals and entertainment: If you are deducting expenses, whether for a corporation or for … Read more